Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (aka Nutella)


I grew up absolutely loving Nutella.  It was something that we only had as an occasional treat since back then you had to get it at an import store.  Now I have the pleasure of having little ones who love it too.  

And who wouldn't?  Nuts.  Chocolate.  Um, YUM!

Best part, I can make it at home with just a handful of ingredients. 




Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (aka Nutella)

2 cups raw hazelnuts
3 tbsp raw coconut oil
2 tbsp walnut oil
2 tbsp baking cocoa
2-4 tbsp honey (sweeten to your preference)
½ tsp sea salt

Put all ingredients in your blender or food processor.  Start on a low speed and work your way up to med-high.  Blend until smooth. 

I used a blend of coconut and walnut oil because it helped to keep a somewhat nutty flavor.  If I would have used all coconut oil, it would have taken it too far from the Nutella flavor.

I started with 3 tbsp of coconut oil and it was really thick, but if you added a few ingredients, it could be rolled into balls for an energetic tasty treat.  Ideas would be coconut flakes, dried cranberries, nut pieces.  Be creative.

I added the 2 tbsp of walnut oil to make it smoother and more nutty.  At this consistency, you could easily use this as frosting for a cake.  I like to stay away from refined sugars and most frosting doesn’t offer much for nutrition and since this is mostly nuts and coconut oil, I feel like it would be a healthy way to add some nutrition to a cake.  

Enjoy, and come back and tell me how you use it.






Jessica Wyman is the Author of Girlfriends Organic Kitchen.  Available now for only $9.95!
Founder of Slim & Vibrant Nutrition School, currently running individual programs.

Follow Jessica on Facebook
You can also follow her on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment